Honolulu’s General Store
Three brothers, Heinrich (1822-1893,) Georg (1827-1907) and Gustav (1830-1902) formed branches of Melchers Company, first in Mazatlán, Mexico (1846,) then seven years later in Honolulu (1853.) (Melchers building is still there and today is the oldest commercial building in Honolulu.)
The Honolulu store was officially opened on February 20, 1854; it sold mostly European goods, items found in most dry goods stores of that time, including fabrics, cigars and china goods. It served as Honolulu’s general store.