Central Fire Station
No organized fire protection system existed in Honolulu until November 6, 1850, when the city's first volunteer fire brigade was formed. On December 27, 1850, King Kamehameha III established by ordinance in the Privy Council creating the Honolulu Volunteer Fire Department; the 1851 legislature enacted the ordinance into law.
In 1897, Central Fire Station was relocated to its present site at Beretania and Fort Streets. The Central Fire Station soon became outmoded. The Romanesque Revival rock structure was replaced in 1934 by a Dickey designed Moderne/Art Deco two-story reinforced concrete building (Kohn M Young was the engineer.)