The Alexander & Baldwin Building was planned as a memorial to founders Samuel Thomas Alexander and Henry Perrine Baldwin and designed as a prestige home office, with sufficient budget to insure both. A primary concern of the owners was that the building be "uniquely Hawaiian" in appearance.
Originally designed with a 39-foot ceiling in the ‘public floor’ (the central first floor,) it started as a 3-story structure with basement. Modifications in 1959 added a mezzanine level, lowering the lower-floor ceiling to 14-feet and creating a new second level that now houses the boardroom (mauka,) offices and lunchroom (makai.)
Click HERE for the full post and images.