Oʻahu Charity School
Andrew Johnstone met the 12 or 14-year-old son of Captain Carter, commanding the English Cutter ‘William Little’ then in port and offered young Carter some books and invited him to his house; in a day or two he brought with him another lad. Soon one and another boy came asking the same favor, to the point where a regular class was formed.
Funds were raised for the creation of a school house for the instruction of English-speaking children (1832.) Oʻahu Charity School was the first formal school in the Islands and the first school on the Pacific where the English language was used (it was one of six English language schools west of the Rockies - it received pupils from the US, Alaska and Mexico.