Foreign Mission School
In June 1810, Samuel John Mills and James Richards petitioned the General Association of the Congregational Church to establish the foreign missions. Cornwall’s Foreign Mission School exemplified evangelical efforts to recruit young men from indigenous cultures around the world, convert them to Christianity, educate them and train them to become preachers, health workers, translators and teachers back in their native lands.
Initially lacking a principal, Edwin Welles Dwight filled that role from May 1817 to May 1818; he was replaced the next year by the Reverend Herman Daggett. In its first year, the Foreign Mission School had 12 students, seven Hawaiians, one Hindu, one Bengalese, an Indian and two Anglo-Americans. The school’s first student was Henry ʻŌpūkahaʻia (Obookiah.)