In 1897, Californian, Byron Clark, became the Hawaiian Republic’s commissioner of agriculture. In looking for land for him to settle on, he learned of the availability of land at Wahiawā. Clark organized a group of other Californians (as well as others) to join him. Within a few years, Wahiawā Town was underway.
Some of the town’s streets were named for the early homesteaders - initial mapping shows California Avenue as the first, and main, road. Then, a hotel, at the corner of Lehua and California, was built to expand the settlement funds, as well as to utilize the hall that had been erected for community gatherings. Wahiawā Hotel was demolished in the 1960s to accommodate construction for the new Wahiawā Library.